Friday, May 11, 2018

My Bookish Verdict #4: Read in March 2018

My Bookish Itinerary

Sometimes I feel like I don't have enough words to write a review (or mini-review) for books. Which is why I have decided to share my thoughts on multiple books I've read during the month here. My Bookish Verdict will be really short reviews/thoughts about the books and my verdict on whether you should Buy it ASAP, Buy it, Buy it on sale, Borrow, or Skip it.


Young Adult Books

Lucky in Love by Kasie West
Can’t buy me love…
Maddie’s not impulsive. She’s all about hard work and planning ahead. But one night, on a whim, she buys a lottery ticket. And then, to her astonishment—
She wins!
In a flash, Maddie’s life is unrecognizable. No more stressing about college scholarships. Suddenly, she’s talking about renting a yacht. And being in the spotlight at school is fun…until rumors start flying, and random people ask her for loans. Now Maddie isn’t sure who she can trust.
Except for Seth Nguyen, her funny, charming coworker at the local zoo. Seth doesn’t seem aware of Maddie’s big news. And, for some reason, she doesn’t want to tell him. But what will happen if he learns her secret?
Thoughts: Overall, I did enjoy reading Lucky in Love. But it wasn't my favorite of Kasie West's books. I am a big fan of Kasie West, I have read most of her books and they are some of my favorite reads. She is a go-to author for me when I want to read a cute, fluffy, and adorable romance contemporary. I usually fall in love with each of Kasie's books, but this one didn't quite reach that level for me. Lucky in Love is still cute and fun. I did enjoy reading it. But I didn't love the main character. I found her frustrating. Though I did understand why she made the decisions that she made. I just didn't connect with Maddie as much as I have all the other main characters. I also didn't particularly like her family very much. My favorite character was Seth. I did really like him. Even though I didn't love Lucky in Love as much as I have other Kasie West books, I still enjoyed reading it and recommend giving it a read. 
My Rating: 3.5 stars


 
OR  



Homecoming (The 100 #3) by Kass Morgan


Weeks after landing on Earth, the Hundred have managed to create a sense of order amidst their wild, chaotic surroundings. But their delicate balance comes crashing down with the arrival of new dropships from space.
These new arrivals are the lucky ones—back on the Colony, the oxygen is almost gone—but after making it safely to Earth, GLASS’s luck seems to be running out. CLARKE leads a rescue party to the crash site, ready to treat the wounded, but she can’t stop thinking about her parents, who may still be alive. Meanwhile, WELLS struggles to maintain his authority despite the presence of the Vice Chancellor and his armed guards, and BELLAMY must decide whether to face or flee the crimes he thought he’d left behind.
It’s time for the Hundred to come together and fight for the freedom they’ve found on Earth, or risk losing everything—and everyone—they love. 

Thoughts: I still find it interesting that the books and the TV series are so different. But I still enjoy both. This book was a very quick read for me. It is so easy to read and want to know what is going to happen. I did enjoy reading this one. I really like the characters, especially the main characters like Clarke, Bellamy, Wells, and Glass. It was interesting to find out what would happen now that there are more people from the Colony. And I definitely wanted to find out what was going to happen with Bellamy.  
My Rating: 4 stars

If you have enjoyed the other two books in this book series then I recommend:
But if you are unsure or just okay with the other two books in this series then you could wait and:




Adult Books

The Royal Delivery (Crown Jewels Romance #3) by Melanie Summers

Don't miss the heartwarming, laugh-out-loud conclusion of The Crown Jewels Romantic Comedy Trilogy for fans of both Bridget Jones and The Shopaholic… After one year of marriage, Crown Prince Arthur and his lovely, albeit accident-prone wife, Princess Tessa, are preparing to bring an heir to the tiny kingdom of Avonia. With all eyes on Tessa, she's determined to be one of those fabulously fit pregnant women. She could do it too if it weren't for all the freshly-baked scones. Soon dubbed the Cowntess of Camembert, Tessa wants to go into hiding until after the baby is born, but royal life won't wait, and she needs to figure out how to make the best of a desperate situation and win the people over once and for all. Prince Author never thought he'd find himself involved in horribly awkward conversations about the first day of his wife's last period, but that's precisely what happens after that plus sign shows up on the pregnancy test. With a baby on the way, Arthur’s overprotective streak comes out in spades, and he finds himself attributing ill-intentions to everyone he meets, from the vagina-fixated obstetricians to the potential pedos everywhere. Will Arthur calm down in time to welcome the baby? Will Tessa manage to figure out how to be mother to the kingdom’s next heir? And most importantly, will the happy couple still be happy when the baby arrives?

Thoughts: I enjoyed reading the first two books in The Crown Jewels Romance trilogy. And this one was equally as entertaining and enjoyable for me. I really enjoyed reading it and it was really nice to find out how everything ends up for Tessa and Arthur. I found it to be a satisfying ending. If you enjoy reading Prince and Princess romance books and enjoy comedy, then I think you should check this trilogy out. 
My Rating: 4 stars




Double Play (Pacific Heat #1) by Jill Shalvis


Getting to first base is a cinch...But getting home will take a grand slam...
Pace Martin is the ace pitcher for the Pacific Heat. He's got the arm, the experience, and the wins. He's also got the pain, the pressure, and the possible end of his career looming over him. The last thing he needs now is a distraction, even if it comes in the form of a tough, beautiful, tell-it-like-it-is writer who sees past his defenses.
Holly Hutchins knows a good story when she sees one, and the tall, dark, and slightly attitude-challenged Pace Martin fits the bill. But when she realizes there's more at stake than just a win, she begins to see the jock in a different light.
Pace and Holly begin a seductive game, but in the face of unexpected betrayal and challenges, they'll have to find the courage to swing for the fences...
Thoughts: This was my first Jill Shalvis book. I really enjoyed reading it. I loved that there are baseball players in this story. (Baseball is one of my favorite sports.) I really liked the characters and the story line. I especially enjoyed the interactions between the two main characters, Holly and Pace. It was a quick read for me. 
My Rating: 4  stars





Animal Magnetism (Animal Magnetism #1) by Jill Shalvis


Co-owner of the town's only kennel, Lilah Young has lived in Sunshine, Idaho, all her life. Pilot-for-hire Brady Miller is just passing through. But he soon has Lilah abandoning her instincts and giving in to a primal desire.
It's Brady's nature to resist being tied down, but there's something about Lilah and her menagerie that keeps him coming back for more.





Thoughts: I didn't enjoy this one as much as Double Play but I did like it. It was a quick read and I did like the characters. I enjoyed the romance and the friendships in this story. I also really liked that there were animals in this one. It is an entertaining read. 
My Rating: 4




Simply Irresistible (Lucky Harbor #1) by Jill Shalvis


Maddie Moore's whole life needs a makeover.
In one fell swoop, Maddie loses her boyfriend (her decision) and her job (so not her decision). But rather than drowning her sorrows in bags of potato chips, Maddie leaves L.A. to claim the inheritance left by her free-spirited mother—a ramshackle inn nestled in the little coastal town of Lucky Harbor, Washington.
Starting over won't be easy. Yet Maddie sees the potential for a new home and a new career—if only she can convince her two half-sisters to join her in the adventure. But convincing Tara and Chloe will be difficult because the inn needs a big makeover too.
The contractor Maddie hires is a tall, dark-haired hottie whose eyes—and mouth—are making it hard for her to remember that she's sworn off men. Even harder will be Maddie's struggles to overcome the past, though she's about to discover that there's no better place to call home than Lucky Harbor. 
Thoughts: I really enjoyed reading this one. I like that the story focused not only on the romance but also on the developing relationship between Maddie and her two half-sisters. It was really enjoyable to read. I love the small town and the setting was wonderful. I found the story to be cute and fun. If you enjoy reading Adult Romance books and haven't read this one yet, I definitely recommend checking it out!
My Rating: 4.5 stars


The Sweetest Thing (Lucky Harbor #2) by Jill Shalvis


Two Men Are One Too Many . . . Tara has a thousand good reasons not to return to the little coastal town of Lucky Harbor, Washington. Yet with her life doing a major crash-and-burn, anywhere away from her unfulfilled dreams and sexy ex-husband will do. As Tara helps her two sisters get their newly renovated inn up and running, she finally has a chance to get things under control and come up with a new plan for her life.But a certain tanned, green-eyed sailor has his own ideas, such as keeping Tara hot, bothered . . . and in his bed. And when her ex wants Tara back, three is a crowd she can't control-especially when her deepest secret reappears out of the blue. Now Tara must confront her past and discover what she really wants. If she's lucky, she might just find that everything her heart desires is right here in Lucky Harbor. 
Thoughts: Honestly, I was a bit hesitant to read this one because I really enjoyed Maddie and Jax in the first book. But I wasn't sold on liking Tara yet, in fact I didn't like her that much at all in the first book. I wanted to, but she was my least favorite of the three sisters. And I wasn't sure how much I would like the story being mostly about her. I am glad that I was wrong. I really enjoyed reading this one too. I love that the sister relationships continue to grow in this story. And even though Tara is now the main character, you still get plenty of Maddie and Chloe too. I ended up really liking Tara in this story, her character really grew on me and it became easy to care about her as much as Maddie. I think this was a great second book. 
My Rating: 4.5 stars




Head Over Heels (Lucky Harbor #3) by Jill Shalvis 



Breaking rules and breaking hearts. 
Free-spirited Chloe lives life on the edge. Unlike her soon-to-be married sisters, she isn't ready to settle into a quiet life running their family's newly renovated inn. But soon her love of trouble — and trouble with love — draws the attention of the very stern, very sexy sheriff who'd like nothing better than to tame her wild ways. 
Suddenly, Chloe can't take a misstep without the sheriff hot on her heels. His rugged swagger and his enigmatic smile are enough to make a girl beg to be handcuffed. For the first time, instead of avoiding the law, Chloe dreams of surrender. Can this rebel find a way to keep the peace with the straitlaced sheriff? Or will Chloe's colorful past keep her from a love that lasts... and the safe haven she truly wants in a town called Lucky Harbor?
Thoughts: I really enjoyed reading the first two books in this series and knew that I would enjoy this one too. I really love that even though it focuses on the youngest half-sister, we still get plenty of Maddie and Tara in the story too. I also enjoyed getting to know Chloe better as a character. That there is more to her than just being the wild child. I really enjoyed the romance. And I couldn't wait to find out what was going to happen. I definitely look forward the next Lucky Harbor book. 
My Rating: 4.5 stars



Have you read any of these books? What is your verdict? 

2 comments:

  1. Wow you read alot of Jill Shalvis!! I like your Book Verdicts-thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice and amazing article simply superb Blog I like this article very much...

    Muthulakshmi Raghavan Novels

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit my blog and leave a comment! I read every single one and they make my day! <3