Saturday, February 11, 2017

My Bookish Verdict #2: Read in January 2017

My Bookish Itinerary

Sometimes I feel like I don't have enough words to write a review (or mini-review) for books. Which is why I have decided to share my thoughts on multiple books I've read during the month here. My Bookish Verdict will be really short reviews/thoughts about the books and my verdict on whether you should Buy it ASAP, Buy it, Buy it on sale, Borrow, or Skip it.



The Mediator Series by Meg Cabot

My Bookish Itinerary - My Bookish Verdict #2: Read in January 2017

Thoughts:

I have been meaning to read this series for several years. In fact, my Mom bought me Haunted at a used book store many years ago because she knew how much I loved Meg Cabot. But then I realized it was the 5th book in a series, so I waited to read it when I had the rest to read. Then last year Proposal (#6.5) and Remembrance (#7) came out. 
I enjoyed reading these books. They are really quick and it doesn't take long to get invested in the story. Yeah, there were a few times I rolled my eyes. And a few times when Suze (the main character) annoyed me. I really liked the characters and the story. There are a lot of funny parts too. Overall, I found this series to be quite enjoyable and entertaining. Most of the books I read in one day a couple of the books, I broke up reading to two days. As soon as I finished one, I immediately picked up the next one. 
I am glad that I finally read this series.




Sisters (Smile #2) by Raina Telgemeier

My Bookish Itinerary - My Bookish Verdict #2: Read in January 2017
Raina Telgemeier’s #1 New York Times bestselling, Eisner Award-winning companion to Smile!
Raina can't wait to be a big sister. But once Amara is born, things aren't quite how she expected them to be. Amara is cute, but she's also a cranky, grouchy baby, and mostly prefers to play by herself. Their relationship doesn't improve much over the years, but when a baby brother enters the picture and later, something doesn't seem right between their parents, they realize they must figure out how to get along. They are sisters, after all.
Raina uses her signature humor and charm in both present-day narrative and perfectly placed flashbacks to tell the story of her relationship with her sister, which unfolds during the course of a road trip from their home in San Francisco to a family reunion in Colorado.

Thoughts:

Okay, so I didn't realize that this was a companion novel when I picked it up at the library for my 10 year old to read. She really enjoyed the story and got excited when she found out it was the second book. Now she wants to check out the first one. 
I read this really quickly since it is a Middle Grade Graphic Novel. I don't have a sister, but I found their relationship to be very realistic (which is good since it is based on the author's life) and it made me think of my two girls (10 and 6 years of age). Overall, I think this is a cute and funny story. I enjoyed it and will look into reading other books/graphic novels by Raina Telgemeier. 



52 Reasons to Hate My Father by Jessica Brody

My Bookish Itinerary - My Bookish Verdict #2: Read in January 2017
Being America’s favorite heiress is a dirty job, but someone’s gotta do it. 
Lexington Larrabee has never to work a day in her life. After all, she’s the heiress to the multi-billion-dollar Larrabee Media empire. And heiresses are not supposed to work. But then again, they’re not supposed to crash brand new Mercedes convertibles into convenience stores on Sunset Blvd either.
Which is why, on Lexi’s eighteen birthday, her ever-absent, tycoon father decides to take a more proactive approach to her wayward life. Every week for the next year, she will have to take on a different low-wage job if she ever wants to receive her beloved trust fund. But if there’s anything worse than working as a maid, a dishwasher, and a fast-food restaurant employee, it’s dealing with Luke, the arrogant, albeit moderately attractive, college intern her father has assigned to keep tabs on her.
In a hilarious “comedy of heiress” about family, forgiveness, good intentions, and best of all, second chances, Lexi learns that love can be unconditional, money can be immaterial, and, regardless of age, everyone needs a little saving. And although she might have 52 reasons to hate her father, she only needs one reason to love him.

 Thoughts:

I enjoyed reading 52 Reasons to Hate My Father. It is light and cute story. I liked the characters and I really liked Lexi's character growth throughout the story. I did think there would be a little bit more romance, and I do wish the romance had a little more chemistry for me. The romance was cute and fluffy, but I didn't swoon all over them being together or anything. 
Overall, I enjoyed reading the story. It is a nice cute, fluffy, and light contemporary. 



Have you read any of these books? What is your verdict? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit my blog and leave a comment! I read every single one and they make my day! <3