Monday, August 4, 2014

Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers

Title: Grave Mercy 
(His Fair Assassin #1)
Author: Robin LaFevers
Length: 576 pages
Publisher: HMH Books For Young Readers
Classification: Young Adult, Fantasy, Historical Fiction
Release Date: April 3, 2012
Source: e-book (purchased)
Read: July 2014
Why be the sheep, when you can be the wolf? Seventeen-year-old Ismae escapes from the brutality of an arranged marriage into the sanctuary of the convent of St. Mortain, where the sisters still serve the gods of old. Here she learns that the god of Death Himself has blessed her with dangerous gifts—and a violent destiny. If she chooses to stay at the convent, she will be trained as an assassin and serve as a handmaiden to Death. To claim her new life, she must destroy the lives of others. Ismae’s most important assignment takes her straight into the high court of Brittany—where she finds herself woefully under prepared—not only for the deadly games of intrigue and treason, but for the impossible choices she must make. For how can she deliver Death’s vengeance upon a target who, against her will, has stolen her heart? 

The Story:

This is another book that I wasn't really sure about before I started reading it. I didn't read the description. In fact, I bought it because it had good reviews by bloggers that I follow on GoodReads and Twitter, and it was on sale for the Kindle, so I thought I would give it a chance. And yet I still wasn't really sure what I was reading when I started the first few chapters.

Nun Assassins.

I wasn't expecting that. And I wasn't really expecting to like the book. I didn't consider putting the book down, but I also didn't expect to like it as much as I did.

For me the story started out on the slow side. It held my attention enough for me to continue reading the story, but I was thinking I wouldn't like it as much as everyone else did. I started thinking it just wasn't "for me".

Then BAM!

I hit a section in the book where the story grabbed me and pulled me in. I COULD NOT put it down! I kept thinking to myself, "Just read one more chapter, then you can pick it back up tomorrow." Yet I didn't listen to my brain, I stayed up super late due to needing to know what happened next, and I still had to force myself to put the book down.

This book was awesome, amazing, wonderful, great, (all other synonyms for good)! I absolutely loved the story and the characters. I love this book so much, I can't believe I kept putting off reading it.

The Characters:

Ismae is very interesting character. I was very fascinated by what was happening with her and her task that she was given. I also liked the whole assassin aspect. I was interested in how she would handle certain situations. She is strong and smart.
Duval. I. Love. Him. Seriously. I love his character. I love the relationship between him and Ismae. I also love the relationship between him and his friends. I love how loyal and intelligent he is. He is an amazing leader. Definitely a character that you would want on your side during a conflict.

My Recommendation:

Read this book. It has easily been added to my favorite reads shelf. It has action and romance. And overall, a very fascinating story with well-developed characters.

I also think that those that enjoy watching Reign may like this one.

My Rating:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit my blog and leave a comment! I read every single one and they make my day! <3