Monday, May 5, 2014

The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen

Title: The Truth About Forever
Author: Sarah Dessen
Length: 374 pages
Publisher: Penguin Group Inc.
Classification: Young Adult, Contemporary
Release Date: May 11, 2004
Source: Paperback (Thank you again Kristina!)
Read: March 2014
A long, hot summer...

That's what Macy has to look forward to while her boyfriend, Jason, is away at Brain Camp. Days will be spent at a boring job in the library, evenings will be filled with vocabulary drills for the SATs, and spare time will be passed with her mother, the two of them sharing a silent grief at the traumatic loss of Macy's father.
But sometimes, unexpected things can happen—things such as the catering job at Wish, with its fun-loving, chaotic crew. Or her sister's project of renovating the neglected beach house, awakening long-buried memories. Things such as meeting Wes, a boy with a past, a taste for Truth-telling, and an amazing artistic talent, the kind of boy who could turn any girl's world upside down. As Macy ventures out of her shell, she begins to wonder, Is it really better to be safe than sorry?



Oh. My. Goodness. THIS BOOK!

This is my first Sarah Dessen book and now I must read all her books.

I love Sarah Dessen's writing style. And as I read there were several lines that she wrote that just spoke to me.
This is a wonderful book that allows readers to see the main character develop and overcome challenges in their lives.
I really enjoyed reading this book and was able to read it pretty much in one night.

The Story:
This is a wonderful book that allows readers to see the main character develop and overcome challenges in their lives.
I think this book is realistic.
Macy has lost her father. Her boyfriend is going away for a summer camp, leaving her to fill his position at the library. But the summer changes her life. She meets some new friends and starts a new job.
Although this story is dealing with Macy needing to deal with her grief surrounding her father's death, it is written in a way that doesn't depress the reader. There are funny and sarcastic parts.

The Characters:
I really loved the relationships between all of the characters!
Macy: The main character. I love her character. She is so realistically well written! I felt so bad for her, everything she had been going through. And there were several moments when reading I wish I could have jumped into the book to comfort her and give her a hug. I have not lost a parent, so I don't know the extent of what she felt, but there were several things she would think or say, it it really sounded like me. I absolutely loved her development throughout the story.
Delia: I think she is one of my favorite characters! I found her to be amazing. I am not sure if I was able to connect with her because she is a mother, trying to balance her life. But I really love her character. I found her to be understanding and down to earth. She is loving and caring.
Wes: Oh my. What a wonderful guy. He is another great character. Artistic and truthful. And swoon-worthy! He is a wonderful brother and friend. He is awesome.
Kristy: What an awesome friend. I love how after everything she has been through, she is still optimistic and hopeful. She is able to enjoy her life and she knows what she wants. I think she is strong and tough. I really feel that she is the kind of friend that Macy needs to help her out of her shell some.

I also really liked Macy's developing relationships between her mother and her sister. Very well written!



I felt that this book was inspiring. And there were several things that I took from this story:

  • Forever can be anything. Long or short. It isn't about the length of time but what you do with it.
  • Don't focus on forever. Focus on the right now. 
  • Enjoy life to the fullest.
  • Don't be scared.
  • Embrace the imperfections and chaos. Don't let it keep you from living. It is just a part of life.
  • Nothing is always perfect.

Thank you, Sarah Dessen for writing this book! 

My Recommendation:
Highly Recommended!
I recommend this book for anyone that enjoys reading contemporary books. Anyone that likes to read about characters overcome challenges in their lives.

My Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit my blog and leave a comment! I read every single one and they make my day! <3