Sunday, June 8, 2014

Pete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons by Eric Litwin

Title: Pete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons
Author: Eric Litwin
Illustrator: James Dean
Length: 40 pages
Publisher: Scholastic
Classification: Children's Book, Humor, Counting
Release Date: September 2013
Source: Paperback 
Pete the Cat is wearing his favorite shirt-the one with the four totally groovy buttons. But when one falls off, does Pete cry? Goodness, no! He just keeps on singing his song-after all, what could be groovier than three groovy buttons? Count down with Pete in this rocking new story from the creators of the bestselling Pete the Cat books. 





Cutie Pie's Thoughts:

What is this book about?
It was about Pete losing his buttons but he didn't cry.

What was your favorite part of the story?
When he kept singing his song and when he gets ice cream and a cat was in the truck

Why did you like it?
Because I liked that he was singing about his buttons. And because he had two flavors and I like those kinds of flavors of ice cream. 

Is there anything you didn't like about this book?
No

Do you like the illustrations?
Yes, I really do. The cat in the truck was really funny.

Who do you think will like this book?
Everyone who likes Pete the Cat stories. 


Cutie Pie's Rating:


My Thoughts:

I really enjoyed reading this book with my girls. Pooh Bear (3 y/o) even asked me to read it to her a second time before bed. They both got a kick out of the book.

It is a quick and fun read. And a wonderful example of repetitive reading for younger kids.
Pete the Cat starts off having all four of his buttons and one by one loses them all.
I like that the author has the simple subtraction in the story, it is a great way to help younger children (or children that might have a difficulty with subtraction) learn. Pooh Bear also enjoyed the big number pages and traced over the number with her finger.
We also enjoyed the little song that Pete sings when he loses a button. And I loved that Pete doesn't get upset or cry. Which is the moral of the story.

"Did Pete cry? Goodness, no! Buttons come and buttons go."   -Pete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons by Eric Litwin

I love that the character is laid back and easy going.

This was my very FIRST Pete the Cat story, but I enjoyed it so much, I am very interested in reading more of these books with my daughters. Pooh Bear liked the counting aspect of the story and Cutie Pie enjoyed the illustrations.
I like the illustrations too. I think they are a very good fit for the story.

My Recommendation:

I highly recommend this book for kids that enjoy reading books that have counting. I would recommend more for younger children. Especially for children learning how to read and count.
Younger elementary school aged kids will enjoy the story as well.
Pre-K through maybe 2nd grade.


My Rating:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit my blog and leave a comment! I read every single one and they make my day! <3