Wednesday, June 18, 2014

REBOOT by Amy Tintera


Title: REBOOT (Reboot #1)
Author: Amy Tintera
Length: 365 pages
Publisher: HarperTeen
Classification: Young Adult, Science Fiction, Dystopian
Release Date: May 7, 2013
Source: e-book 
Read: May 2014
Five years ago, Wren Connolly was shot three times in the chest. After 178 minutes she came back as a Reboot: stronger, faster, able to heal, and less emotional. The longer Reboots are dead, the less human they are when they return. Wren 178 is the deadliest Reboot in the Republic of Texas. Now seventeen years old, she serves as a soldier for HARC (Human Advancement and Repopulation Corporation). Wren’s favorite part of the job is training new Reboots, but her latest newbie is the worst she’s ever seen. As a 22, Callum Reyes is practically human. His reflexes are too slow, he’s always asking questions, and his ever-present smile is freaking her out. Yet there’s something about him she can’t ignore. When Callum refuses to follow an order, Wren is given one last chance to get him in line—or she’ll have to eliminate him. Wren has never disobeyed before and knows if she does, she’ll be eliminated, too. But she has also never felt as alive as she does around Callum. The perfect soldier is done taking orders. 

I bought this book for the Kindle because Epic Reads had a Read-along on Twitter and it was on sale. So I decided to give it a read.
And I am so glad that I did. I ended up enjoying this book a lot.

The Story:

I didn't really know what to expect when I started reading this book. I didn't read the description, I just bought it and started reading.
This book was slam packed full of action. I found some of the events in the book to be intense. Which made me really into the story and wanting to know what would happen next. I had a hard time putting this book down. I think that the concept of this story was really interesting. I don't think it is quite like anything else that I have read.
And I thought that the world that the author created was also really interesting. Coming back as a Reboot after you die...although not everyone does. And the longer you take to reboot the less HUMAN you are! What? So interesting.
And wow...I kept thinking how the Reboots were a little zombie-like. But not actual zombies per-se. Which also added a little bit of creepy into the mix.
This was a quick, fast-paced, interesting read.

The Characters:

I liked the characters a lot. I think they were pretty well developed. There were several characters that I felt sad for. Which made it easier for me to connect with them.
There is a romance in the story. And I like that I felt like it was more insta-lust and not insta-love. She didn't automatically fall head over heels for the male character. Instead she was intrigued by him and curious. And I love that there wasn't a love triangle. (Although love triangles don't bother me as much as it does others, it is still refreshing to read a book without one.)

Wren: I really like her character. And I love her character development throughout the story. I was very invested in what would happen to her next and how she would handle certain situations.
Callum: I really like him. And I felt so bad for him. There were several moments I wanted to jump into the story and give him a hug. I think he is sweet and I like the way he bonds with Wren.

I am really interested to find out what happens to these two, (as well as the other characters) in the next book.

My Recommendation:

I would recommend this book if you like interesting reads that have dystopian future elements. Where some not-quite-so-human teens are like the police force for a disease-stricken world.

My Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit my blog and leave a comment! I read every single one and they make my day! <3