Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Second Chance Summer by Morgan Matson


Title: Second Chance Summer
Author: Morgan Matson
Length: 482 pages
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Classification: Young Adult, Contemporary
Release Date: May 8, 2012
Source: e-book 
Read: June 2014
Taylor Edwards’ family might not be the closest-knit—everyone is a little too busy and overscheduled—but for the most part, they get along just fine. Then Taylor’s dad gets devastating news, and her parents decide that the family will spend one last summer all together at their old lake house in the Pocono Mountains. Crammed into a place much smaller and more rustic than they are used to, they begin to get to know each other again. And Taylor discovers that the people she thought she had left behind haven’t actually gone anywhere. Her former best friend is still around, as is her first boyfriend…and he’s much cuter at seventeen than he was at twelve. As the summer progresses and the Edwards become more of a family, they’re more aware than ever that they’re battling a ticking clock. Sometimes, though, there is just enough time to get a second chance—with family, with friends, and with love. 

Wow, what an emotional read. I didn't start really crying until the last few chapters of the book, but there were several times when the story brought tears to my eyes. But I did cry, I had tears streaming down my face and had to get a box of Kleenex.
If you haven't read this book and plan to do so, I suggest having a box ready...just in case.

Hard to put down book. Even though I knew it was going to be a sad read going into reading it, I didn't want to stop. I became very invested in knowing what would happen and finding out more about these wonderful characters.

The Story:

I think that this story is beautifully well-written. So realistic. It made me think about my life and my family. It made me think about death and how heartbreaking it is.
This story broke my heart, it also made me think about how it is important to try and not take my family for granted because you never know how much time you really have left.
I loved that the family went to their lake house to spend the summer together with the father.
But I also liked that the story focused on them living their lives and not just focusing only on the fact that he is sick.
I like how close the family is and the conversations between them.
And I was really interested in the flashbacks. I was just as interested in knowing what happened the last summer that Taylor was at the lake house as the current summer that was taking place during the book.
I think that this is a good (but heartbreaking sad) read for summer.

The Characters:

The author did an amazing job creating a family that I started caring for right away. I was interested in what was happening with each of them, not just Taylor.

I really cared for her siblings and her parents and everything that they were dealing with and going through having this summer together. I also was very interested in the other relationships that the characters developed throughout the book.
There wasn't a single character in this story that I didn't like or care about at some point while reading.
I also think that the characters were very well developed and written. They felt realistic to me.
I wanted to jump into the story and hug them all.
I was very captivated by these characters' lives.

My Recommendation:

If you love reading Contemporary books that make you stop and think about your life, family, friends, love, loss, etc. then I highly recommend this book. I found the book to be beautifully written and amazing. Heartbreaking and moving.

My Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit my blog and leave a comment! I read every single one and they make my day! <3