Saturday, October 31, 2015

Teacher's Night Before Halloween by Steven L. Layne


Title: Teacher's Night Before Halloween
Author: Steven L. Layne
Illustrator: Ard Hoyt
Length: 32 pages
Publisher: Pelican Publishing Company
Classification: Children's Book
Release Date: July 2008
Source: Library Book
It's the day before Halloween, and to every teacher's dismay, school has been overrun by princesses and monsters, Jedi and ghouls. In every classroom, teachers are struggling to keep order, but students have brought in their costumes to celebrate a day early. A group of girls sneak into the bathroom to exchange tiaras, and grotesquely dressed fifth-graders pretend to eat two younger students in the cafeteria.
The entire school has turned into a haunted house, and as cupcake icing spreads all over the desks, the teachers look for a way to escape the annual Halloween Day parade. But when the principal issues a memo that says all teachers must attend the parade, the faculty wake up on Halloween morning filled with dread.
But there's a treat in store for the teachers this year. The students and their parents have canceled the Halloween Day parade, and the teachers are ecstatic. There's just one catch, the students promise-next year, there's bound to be more trick than treat.




Thoughts:


What is this book about?

Cutie Pie: It is about kids dressing up in costumes and it was the day before Halloween. Even at school. Then the teachers got a surprise.

What was your favorite part of the story?

Cutie Pie: When the teachers got the big surprise.

Why did you like it?

Cutie Pie: Because it was surprising and I didn't know that was what was going to happen.

Is there anything you didn't like about this book?

Cutie Pie: No, it was all pretty awesome actually.

Do you like the illustrations?

Cutie Pie: Yes. Indeed. (Especially the picture when the teacher was sleeping!)

Who do you think will like this book?

Cutie Pie: Probably everyone.



Cutie Pie's Rating:

My Thoughts:

Hmmm...I didn't quite enjoy Teacher's Night Before Halloween as much as Cutie Pie did. I do agree with Cutie Pie, I was a bit surprised by the ending. The rhymes are fine and a bit entertaining.

It is the day before Halloween and the teachers are stressed. The kids are already loaded with sugar and not paying much attention to school. They are dressed up and doing things they shouldn't be doing in the classroom. The teachers are annoyed and exhausted and not looking forward to Halloween because it is just going to be worse than the day before.

I think that it is meant to just be funny and an exaggeration of how most teachers feel about Halloween. (I mean, sure there probably are teachers that hate Halloween as much as this book makes it seem.) But I'm not currently a teacher so I don't really know.

Even though I didn't really enjoy the story, I do like the illustrations and I did like the surprise for the teachers at the end.

I do think this one more for older children, it didn't hold Pooh Bear's (4 y/o) attention.

Sadly, this isn't a book I would read every Halloween. But Cutie Pie did enjoy it.

My Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit my blog and leave a comment! I read every single one and they make my day! <3