Sunday, March 23, 2014

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak




Title: Where The Wild Things Are
Author/Illustrator: Maurice Sendak
Length: Approx. 37 pages 
Publisher: Harper Collins
Classification: Children's Book, Imagination, Caldecott Medal
Source: Paperback
One night Max puts on his wolf suit and makes mischief of one kind and another, so his mother calls him 'Wild Thing' and sends him to bed without his supper. That night a forest begins to grow in Max's room and an ocean rushes by with a boat to take Max to the place where the wild things are. Max tames the wild things and crowns himself as their king, and then the wild rumpus begins. But when Max has sent the monsters to bed, and everything is quiet, he starts to feel lonely and realizes it is time to sail home to the place where someone loves him best of all.





Cutie Pie's Thoughts:


What is this book about?

It is about the Wild Things and doing wild stuff.

What was your favorite part of the story?

When Max tamed them with his magic trick.

Why did you like it?

Because I really like tricks.

Do you like the illustrations?

Yes, I like when Max is in the picture too. I think Max is in every picture in the book.

Who do you think would like this book?

My class.


Cutie Pie's Rating:


My Thoughts:

I remember reading this book when I was younger, and it was never one of my favorites. I remember being scared of the Wild Things.
But now I think I am able to appreciate this book as a work that allows and encourages young kids to explore their imaginations.
I think that imagination is very important especially for kids. And I would like to think that if my daughter would ask for an example, I would first think of this book.

Yes, the boy gets in trouble by his mom and gets sent to his room, but I don't think that is the focus of the story. And I don't feel that it encourages kids to get in trouble. But rather, him being able to explore somewhere else with this imagination and do things that he normally wouldn't be able to do.
.
This is a fun story. And I think it is more for school-aged kids.

My Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit my blog and leave a comment! I read every single one and they make my day! <3