Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Rebel Heart by Moira Young

Title: Rebel Heart 
(Dust Lands #2)
Author: Moira Young
Length: 448 pages
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry Books
Classification: Young Adult, Dystopian, Action and Adventure, Science Fiction
Release Date: October 30, 2012
Source: Hardback 
Read: January 2014
Saba thought her world would return to normal after they defeated the Tonton and rescued her kidnapped brother Lugh. The family head west for a better life and a longed-for reunion with Jack. But a formidable enemy is on the rise. What is the truth about Jack? And how far will Saba go to get what she wants? 

***This is the second book in a series. There will be spoilers of things that happened in the first book, so if you haven't read Blood Red Road and don't want to know things that happened, please stop reading now.***

Overall, I really liked the story. I enjoyed that the action and adventure continued. But I didn't like it as much as I liked reading the first book.

And there were several things that surprised me. Some plot twists that I didn't see coming.

And now there are questions. The ending was a cliffhanger (for me at least)! And now I MUST know what happens.

So I can't wait until the final book comes out in May!

The Characters:
Saba: We get to read about a different side of Saba. In the first book she is determined, strong, and stubborn. But in the beggining of this book, she has been overcome by the emotions of her actions from the last book's ending. She has to get through the guilt and find the strength to accept what she has done and move on. I like that Young wrote Saba this way. I feel that it is more realistic and believable, that our heroine, would be feeling the pain and guilt from what she had to do. We read as Saba finds a way to overcome this pain and move on. We also get to read how she grows as a character, no longer needing to be tethered to Lugh. She becomes ready for being herself without always thinking of how Lugh would react, think, or what he would want her to do.
Lugh: He drove me a bit crazy in this book. I started to not like him as much. I felt that he wasn't very appreciative of everything that Saba had to go through to find him. And at times I felt like he was just bringing her down, instead of trying to help her get through the pain she was in.
Jack: Jack had a very small part in this book. (At least that is how it felt to me.) I definitely wanted some more Jack.
Emmi: Emmi is another character that I feel like I didn't read much about in this book. I like how she did try to help take care of Saba. And I like that their relationship didn't seem to fall apart.

The Story:
I did feel that this story started off a bit slower then the first book did. And it did take a little time for the action and adventure to pick up. But I also felt that all the stuff that Saba had to go through in the beginning (like seeing the spirits of others) was an interesting and important part of the story. It helps make Saba more human and grounded. And it gives her another challenge that she has to overcome.

There were several surprises that I didn't see coming and they added suspense and interest to the story.

But there were some events in the book that frustrated me.

Like the new love triangle.

And the fact that all the guys are now in love with Saba.

The story really picks up when Saba starts to feel better and takes off to find Jack. And from that point on, readers are then swept back into the action and adventure.

I am glad that I read this book, and it is a book that I would read again.

My Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit my blog and leave a comment! I read every single one and they make my day! <3