Monday, April 28, 2014

The Maze Runner by James Dashner

Title: The Maze Runner 
(Maze Runner #1)
Author: James Dashner
Length: 329 pages
Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers (Random House)
Classification: Young Adult, Dystopian, Science Fiction
Release Date: October 6, 2009
Source: ebook (purchased)
Read: April 2014 *I read this book during a Read-a-long with some fellow blogger friends. Thank you Cassi (My Thoughts...Literally) for hosting!*
"If you ain't scared, you ain't human."When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his name. He's surrounded by strangers--boys whose memories are also gone.Outside the towering stone walls that surround the Glade is a limitless, ever-changing maze. It's the only way out--and no one's ever made it through alive.Then a girl arrives. The first girl ever. And the message she delivers is terrifying. 

I really enjoyed reading this book! So much, I can't believe that I put off reading it for so long!

I think this book was full of action, mystery and suspense. One word that keeps coming to mind is INTENSE. I found this book to be very intense.

I can't wait to get the rest of the series and read them. I hope I am able to do so soon!

Title Acrostic: 
(Something new I am adding to some of my reviews, where I will use the title or part of the title of the book to create an acrostic.)

Title Acrostic


Memorable: I think this story is an unique story and it stands out from others that I have read. Yes, I do think there are some similarities from other stories that I have read, but this book is still different. And it is a book that I will remember.

Amazing: It is an amazing story. It was definitely different from what I was expecting. It grabbed my attention and kept me interested in the story. I think it is well written, full of details and world/character development. It was a fast read, and I was left wanting to continue the story. So for me, the book is amazing.

Zealous: I have found a passion for this story. I am really glad that I read it and am looking forward to reading the rest of the series.

Extreme: This book is intense and extreme. Throughout reading, my leg was shaking. I had to take a few pauses to breathe. This is a book that kept me "on the edge of my seat".


Remarkable: I think this book is definitely worthy of the notice and attention it has received. It is an interestingly intense story that grabs the reader.

Unanswered: There are so many unanswered questions throughout this entire book. And as you find out some answers, more questions form.

Nauseating: There are some nauseating parts in the story. (Not in the sense of making me feel physically sick). Specifically scenes that involve the creepy Grievers!

Nervous: I felt pretty nervous throughout this book. I kept wondering what was going happen.

Emotional: So many emotions throughout reading this book. There were parts where I was frustrated, scared, mad, relieved, and anxious.

Ruthless: There are some things (like the Grievers) and some people in the story that I found to be ruthless.

The Story:
I think the story was well developed. Dashner describes the Maze and the Glade with wonderful detail. I didn't have a problem picturing this area in my head, and I felt that it help bring the story to life. (Sure, I have seen the trailer for the movie, but I think even without it I would have been able to easily picture it.)

And the Grievers. Seriously. Dashner is so creative! I don't think I would have been able to think of such a creature. I found them to be creepy and disturbing. I was/am afraid of them.
I wasn't satisfied with how I pictured them in my head, so I looked them up online. And wow, there are so many awesome drawings that people have made!

Here are some links:
http://acturiesa.deviantart.com/art/Maze-Runner-Griever-and-Beetle-Blade-272308207
http://gubblyn.deviantart.com/art/The-Griever-259820862
http://summerfr0st.deviantart.com/art/The-Maze-Runner-Griever-Colored-291456250


Although there were a few things that I was able to figure out, but overall the book kept me guessing and I didn't know what to expect or what would happen. There were several things that caught me by surprise!

I do understand why some people were frustrated with this book, there is a lack of information. You don't know what is going on and it takes a while to find out pieces of information. This bugged me a little at first, but it didn't bug me enough for me to quit reading or take away from my love of the book. I think it added to the suspense and mystery of what was happening. And I think it helped make the book more intense.


The Characters:

I really liked the characters. I really love that the story has a male main character. And everything is told from his point of view. I liked being able to read from his point of view the entire time.
Thomas is full of emotion and determination. I really like his character. I found him to be realistic and believable.  And I really like his relationship with the other boys in the Glade.
Chuck is a little annoying at first but it doesn't last the entire book (at least it didn't for me). I enjoyed seeing his friendship develop with Thomas.
Newt. I think he was one of my favorite characters in the book. I enjoyed watching his character develop through the story. I found his character to be funny at times too.
Minho. I really liked him too. And I like the friendship between him and Thomas. He is full of determination and strength.
Teresa. She is a character that I feel like I still don't know much about. And I want to know more about her. But I think she is strong and supportive.

I think the characters were well developed. They have their strengths and some weaknesses, that just adds to making them feel "real" to me.

If you haven't read The Maze Runner yet, then I recommend that you give it a go. It isn't for everyone, but I really enjoyed it. It was a fast enjoyable read, full of surprises and twists that kept me wanting more.

My Rating:

2 comments:

  1. Love the acrostic! That's a great idea. I totally agree about Amazing, Remarkable, Ruthless, and Unanswered! And I really liked Newt too. Great review. You should link up on my post so that other people can check out your review (also for the giveaway)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really enjoyed reading the book.

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit my blog and leave a comment! I read every single one and they make my day! <3