Saturday, June 18, 2016

My Bookish Verdict #1: Read in January 2016

My Bookish Itinerary

Sometimes I feel like I don't have enough words to write a review (or mini-review) for books. Which is why I have decided to share my thoughts on multiple books I've read during the month here. My Bookish Verdict will be really short reviews/thoughts about the books and my verdict on whether you should Buy it ASAP, Buy it, Buy it on sale, Borrow, or Skip it.


Truthwitch (The Witchlands #1) by Susan Dennard

In a continent on the edge of war, two witches hold its fate in their hands.
Young witches Safiya and Iseult have a habit of finding trouble. After clashing with a powerful Guildmaster and his ruthless Bloodwitch bodyguard, the friends are forced to flee their home.
Safi must avoid capture at all costs as she's a rare Truthwitch, able to discern truth from lies. Many would kill for her magic, so Safi must keep it hidden - lest she be used in the struggle between empires. And Iseult's true powers are hidden even from herself.
In a chance encounter at Court, Safi meets Prince Merik and makes him a reluctant ally. However, his help may not slow down the Bloodwitch now hot on the girls' heels. All Safi and Iseult want is their freedom, but danger lies ahead. With war coming, treaties breaking and a magical contagion sweeping the land, the friends will have to fight emperors and mercenaries alike. For some will stop at nothing to get their hands on a Truthwitch.
Thoughts: I really enjoyed reading this book. I was a bit confused when I first started the story, but as the story progressed things started to make sense. I loved the characters and the world building. It has heart-pounding action and is very entertaining. I highly recommend reading it. I can't wait for the next book in this series!


How to Lose a Bachelor by Anna Banks


When Rochelle Ransom auditioned for the dating show Luring Love, she had big plans for winning the prize money to help her favorite charity–and if she won the hot bachelor's heart, even better. But at the last minute she finds out the hot bachelor is her ex-boyfriend, Grant Drake. Desperate to keep her distance from him, she'll do anything–and everything–to get voted off.
Years ago, Rochelle broke Grant’s heart, and he's out for revenge. There's no way he'll vote her off.
After all, vengeance is a dish best served red-hot...and on live television. 
When her hilarious antics to get kicked off the show escalate, Grant’s reminded why he fell in love with her the first time. Now he isn't sure which might be more fun... Seeing how far Rochelle is willing to go to get away or how far he will to keep her forever.

Thoughts: I enjoyed reading this story very much. I LOVE second-chance romance books. The romance is cute and full of drama. I read pretty much read this story in one sitting. I stayed up really late reading because I couldn't stop reading. I recommend giving it a read!


The Jock and the Fat Chick by Nicole Winters



No one ever said high school was easy. In this hilarious and heartwarming debut, one high school senior has to ask himself how much he's willing to give up in order to fit in.
Kevin seems to have it all: he's popular, good looking, and on his way to scoring a college hockey scholarship. However, he's keeping two big secrets. The first is that he failed an assignment and is now forced to take the most embarrassing course ever--domestic tech. The second is that he is falling for his domestic tech classmate, Claire.
As far as Kevin is concerned, Claire does have it all: she's funny, smart, beautiful, and confident. But she's off-limits. Because Kevin knows what happens when someone in his group dares to date a girl who isn't a cheerleader, and there's no way he is going to put himself—or Claire—through that.
But steering clear of the girl of his dreams is a lot harder than Kevin thought…especially when a cooking project they are paired together for provides the perfect opportunity for things to heat up between them outside the classroom….

Thoughts: I liked some things about this story, but overall I didn't like the story as much as I had hoped I would. I just found it to be okay. I liked the main character, but I really disliked his friends. I really liked Claire and their relationship. I recommend borrowing it, but it is part of Epic Reads Impulse, which means it is only available as an ebook. (Which makes borrowing difficult.) If it really interests you, I would say go ahead and get it since it is only $1.99. I didn't love it, but others might like it more.

Have you read any of these books? What is your verdict? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit my blog and leave a comment! I read every single one and they make my day! <3